How to maintain your electric scooter battery

How to maintain your electric scooter battery

The battery is the beating heart of your scooter. Looking after your battery will elongate the life of your electric scooter and keep you scooting together for longer.

Here are our 5 tips and tricks keep you electric scooter battery healthy.

Don't store it in the cold & charge at room temperature

Lithium batteries rely on chemical reactions to release their energy and cold temperatures can slow, and even stop these reactions happening. This means when the temperature is in single digits you may notice a slight drop in range. This will pick up in summer though, so don't worry.

We recommend always storing and charging your Volter in a room where there's no extreme heat.

Don’t run your battery flat every time

There are lots of conflicting views out there on how best to maintain your battery but take it from us, lithium batteries far prefer being charged up before they are totally flat.

Try and charge your battery before it hits 50%. If you do run it flat it is not the end of the world, but done regularly it will reduce the lifecycle of the battery.

Charge your scooter before storing

If you’re not going to use your e-scooter for a month or longer we always suggest you charge it up to around 60%. Batteries will always slowly discharge so its worth keeping an eye on it every few weeks and topping it up if necessary.

 Don’t rely on the battery display

Your charger will have a little light on it, plug it in to your scooter and the light will go red. When the charge is complete the light will go green. This is the most accurate way of checking if your battery is charged.

You may find the display doesn’t quite show the same. This is because your battery will charge pretty quickly to 80%, and the remaining 20% will be slower. This is to make sure the battery does not overcharge, it’s a great feature to make sure you get the best out of your e-scooter.

Always use a Volter approved charger

There are lots of chargers out there, some may even fit the charger port. But using a different charger can damage the battery and void your warranty. If you loose your charger then don’t worry – we keep extra stock in.

Please note, currently electric scooters are only allowed to be used on private land. You can keep up to date with the changing legislation here.

Check out our articles on how to safe on your scooter, maintaining your tyre pressures, and maintaining your scooter.

The Volter S1 is now available. 100% electric. 0% compromise.


Leave a comment